1. Hello Guest at some point these forums will be shutting down so please make sure to save anything you'd like to keep. You can reach us in the new Spunland Discord Right Here

Will there be Open Mic?

Discussion in 'Questions and Support' started by Gaffbag-Biden, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Gaffbag-Biden

Gaffbag-Biden New In Town

I want to know whether there will be Open Mic, similar as to how it was when Home first started? I want to chat via mic with the citizens of Neotopia freely.

NeoHelper likes this.
  2. Steven1230

Steven1230 Imaginative

It would be nice but not to the point of what home had. A lot of people abused that by blaring music and cussing all the time. If they put it in with an option to turn it off and on or something similer to that then open mic would work. It would need to be thought over very well thou.

Strong Lover and NeoHelper like this.
  3. xDaMoOnMaNx

xDaMoOnMaNx Mayor Moon

Back in the day the issue with open mic got out of hand. A lot of people was acting childish and being foolish just to get attention. So who knows they may do it then again they may not. #MayorMoon #WardenMoon

Strong Lover and NeoHelper like this.
  4. xDaMoOnMaNx

xDaMoOnMaNx Mayor Moon

Also welcome to the forums Biden!!!!!!! #MayorMoon #WardenMoon

NeoHelper likes this.
  5. NeoHelper

NeoHelper Neotopia Guru

I was told that the Developers are looking into it. :)
    So there might be a open mic (local mic) chat! :D

6. May2099

May2099 New In Town

I was born with a mouth and throat. I have an epiglottis, larynx and vocal chords. My tounge and lips love, love, LOVE to ramble. My friends and I group up into a VOICE MIC chat or use the club chat channel daily. If we are just hanging out, or during events when typing will not cut it. Mic has the ability to communicate emotion and understanding quickly!

The very first friends I met in Home closed beta, and are still my besties to this day, I met because of the ability to use mic in the public plaza. Music was a communicator that drew me in. It was a basis for meeting new people a virtual world. I was drawn to the music as much as the individual.

Having the ability to use mic in the public plaza brought people together. I used to play my GTA Vice City box set. Hee hee! Not everyone cared to join the party - so they would be asked to bother off 50 feet in any direction or mute me.

I never used mics to be offensive. And, those that did were swiftly reported to Sony online and then muted!

I am a gamer!!! I have a PSeye for use with many a games. Another eye that came with my Move bundle. Folks have long used the blue tooth ear based mics. And, thankfully when the Sony surround sound wireless headset came along my entire gaming experience only got BETTER!!! Why? Because I can control in game volume AND user mics.

Oh and least we not forget how in a virtual world ... All female avatars are men until they MIC UP !!! You can agree or disagree with that comment but ... Hahahaha yea w/e. =P

Trust must be established at some point in any "friendship" and there's no faster way to feel comfortable gaming than with the use of a mic (for me any way).

I asked UncleSpun, aka Dave Dow, at least three times during OCT 5th public Q&A about the use of mic in-world. Even LegoFire was kind enough to continue asking the question on my behalf.

Here's the reply we finally received:

If Neotopia is to be a gamers next "Home" ... where we all go to unwind after a long stent of shooting up the place ... You really think I want to type!?!?!?!?!

There are plenty of social networking sites for texters. I am a GAMER and I need to communicate in any game on my PS3/PS4. Why else do you think everyone was always on Sony's case for cross game chat before the PS4 was released? Because they wanted to text all the time with their controller ... Right?

Hee hee. Anyway. There's my buck fifty of thought about mics for ya.

Chat ya later.

Attached Files:

Strong Lover and xDaMoOnMaNx like this.
  7. Ashley

Ashley Fabulicious

I wasn't there for open mic it it sounds awesome, like say someone playing good music in a public space for everyone to hear, don't need to worry about legal stuff or anything. Great idea

xDaMoOnMaNx likes this.
  8. May2099

May2099 New In Town

Hi Ashley, Well Sony never did allow PS3 users to stream music from one's own console hard drive into Home always blaming it on legal issues. However, every other darn game I played online with others allowed open mic. And, more often that not, you could listen to the tunes of your buddy that they were rockin' out to. On that same point, it's kindness and consideration to use a headset so others gaming with you don't have to hear the back ground noises or feedback from the television.

On another note, I went to so many parties on Home in clubs with people playing music on mic. Static, feedback, the mics timing out were all issues. I just mute the person playing the music. Lol. To be honest, I rather mic chat and catch up with friends, not stand around dancing and texting. Gah! However, during such events like fashion show presentations or focused events it is nice having the option to play music and present performances during these times.

And, what a special treat when you meet someone that enjoys singing or playing an instrument. Rare indeed. But not to be passed up when given the chance to enjoy. Why else were we born with ears?

:)

9. Ashley

Ashley Fabulicious

Well, you could always mute the person with music blaring in public, I'm sure mic issues, like choppiness etc would be easier to deal with on PS4, which I'm not that sure of because I simply don't own one. Or another idea would be giving every neotopian a free radio that you can carry around with you like a companion, and it plays radio like LOOT had, you can listen to it but nobody else can hear unless they join your radio. I'd like that .

10. JasonReso

JasonReso Resident citizen

I was there for open mic chat in Central Plaza. There was a lot of blaring music and cussing as Steven1230 stated. Maybe there could be an option when you see someone not on your friends list. Then you could click on their name and request to use voice chat. That way you can go to spaces and decide yourself. :cool:

xDaMoOnMaNx likes this.
  11. JasonReso

JasonReso Resident citizen

I agree. It did get out of hand. Can you imagine open mic's at The Playground in current Home? :)

12. Gundyrat

Gundyrat Squatter

The open Mics in Closed Beta was set up so you could only hear them if your proximity was close to them the biggest issue as state is trash and gutter talk no one seems to be able to talk in a civilized manor.
    Sony had to meet the ESRB rating of E for everyone and there was legal liability involved in allowing open mics in public spaces, as for neoptopia they are shooting for a different age range but still and this being just a guess they have some legal hurdles they also must meet and it may be that its open mic in a friends list, group or private space.
    Personally I have no reason to want to hear how that b was last night or hear the N or C word its bad enough seeing abbreviation's of these words in home text that's my 2 neo bitsworth

13. xDaMoOnMaNx

xDaMoOnMaNx Mayor Moon

That is why we need the judicial system within the game. #TopiaJail #MayorMoon #WardenMoon

14. JR1

JR1 Plebian

Odin, I hope there's not an open mic. Can you imagine the trolling & confusion that would go on?!? Let's just keep open mic to private & club areas.

Strong Lover likes this.
  15. RiffCalliope

RiffCalliope New In Town

What would be nice if you could make a dedicated mic chat in a club space. For instance only one person to occupy stage at a time -at the mic -and that mic would be open to the room/space. Only club facilitators can police this -meaning a club owner can yank a speaker from the mic. -Mic has no cut outs.

This would be excellent for a club house that is based on performance.

Strong Lover likes this.
  16. jorge197

jorge197 New In Town

Strong Lover likes this.
  17. Strong Lover

Strong Lover Plebian

Open mic is great. The only problem is that there are too many people that can't control themselves. Since there won't be moderation, I doubt they will leave every space as open mic. We'll see.

Love Enchantress likes this.
  18. Strong Lover

Strong Lover Plebian

I get what you are saying. Only one person can speak at a time in the club chat? That will require the club leader to have control over the club mic.

Love Enchantress likes this.
  19. Conrad_Max

Conrad_Max New In Town

There were a few issues with having an open mic. Not only the constant cursing, trolling and loud music, Home open mic also caused incredible lag. Many people had difficulty logging into Home. Many others weren't couldn't get in at all. I see that this could also be an issue with Neotopia. Hopefully not.

Perhaps there won't be the problem of lag and members having difficulty logging in. But certainly we will still have the issue of people cursing and playing music loudly. Users should not be forced to use a mute feature in order to fully enjoy the new world. But if push comes to shove...

Personally, I liked the options we eventually had in Home. When it worked good, it was great.

Strong Lover likes this.
  20. DARKFIRE007

DARKFIRE007 New In Town

I see a GREAT chance here...Imagine it being like home text ok? You are running, you see nothing. You get close enough to people text chatting and their bubbles pop up. DO this with mic. No need half the time to USE on off feature, just walk away. But the on off feature is still key. Would also add to the realism, start hearing people as you get close....take it up a notch and even start out at low volume and slowly increase as you get closer.

Strong Lover likes this.