1. Hello Guest at some point these forums will be shutting down so please make sure to save anything you'd like to keep. You can reach us in the new Spunland Discord Right Here

Upgrading Forum Software [VOTE]

Discussion in 'Forum Archive' started by UncleSpun, Nov 10, 2014.

?

Hi there neotopians! As part of rejuvenating the community and preparing ourselves for the continue

1. Stick with the current forum system

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Move to the new forum system (EmbraceTomorrow!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AlboGodZ

AlboGodZ Squatter

Yeah if i could see the PM Button on your profile: http://i.imgur.com/Z1OFVUP.png

2. AlboGodZ

AlboGodZ Squatter

The votes are pretty obvious, i hope to see changes asap. Been wanting a chat on here for a long time =)

3. C.Birch

C.Birch Forum Tech Staff Member Administrator

Hint....

4. NissaRaven

NissaRaven Squatter

Love the new design, I voted for the move.

5. AlboGodZ

AlboGodZ Squatter

Not working m8.

6. GreyNeo

GreyNeo Neotopia Community Manager Staff Member Administrator

Just wanted to quickly clear up some confusion. It was just a test site and it is now down. We were allowed to conduct a test to check out Xenforo. We wanted to make sure that it fit us before we spent a single dollar on anything else besides the production of neotopia. We're very lucky to test run it before we commit to a purchase. We are not moving, this our site. We will only change the forum software if the vote decides so, that is the only change. Sorry for any confusion! Thank you =^)

7. Tubifex-90

Tubifex-90 Home Addict ^_^

I've voted for the new one because it looks better. However perhaps there should be more options to chose from since there are more great forums software like someone already said. For example IP.Board or Simple Machines.

8. Baron Brain

Baron Brain The Baron of the Brain

Have to agree with (most) everyone else, abhor the shockingly pink colors — from a design perspective, the pink & white clash far too much, making the pages overly bright and harder on one's orbs. Alternate choices would be most welcome, especially a dark theme.

If you move to a system with a chatbox, please ensure it's one that doesn't unnecessarily slow down most other system processes, especially simple tasks such as posting or editing (i.e., YPSH's slooooow chatbox).

Lastly, it should also be fully tablet/mobile friendly, especially with regards to rich text editing features. This current software definitely exhibits design mangling when my iPad's set to a mobile user agent. (Also, just as an FYI, when I tried using my mobile earlier, a cat image from pusheen.com appeared on nearly every page underneath our avatar pics, rather than the proper small blue "house" icons *shudders*).

9. C.Birch

The core styles colours can be edited by the user, along with the main background image from a set range.

10. AlboGodZ

AlboGodZ Squatter

SMF? Yeah if you want to look like you got stuck in 2002. I'd select XenForo infront of SMF.

11. AlboGodZ

AlboGodZ Squatter

The shoutbox that yourpshome are using will be the same one they will also use.

12. Tubifex-90

Tubifex-90 Home Addict ^_^

So you saying Uniquez looks like 2002? xD

13. AlboGodZ

AlboGodZ Squatter

You know it. SMF Is old, looks like it's been stuck in 2002 - even their designs. I will leave the internet if Neotopia uses SMF lawl.

XenForo is pretty good as it has alot of bulit in nice features such as prefixes. However I'd go with a more better skin than that they are showing, looks like the default one lol

14. Baron Brain

Baron Brain The Baron of the Brain

I finally saw the "Customize My Theme" options magically appear in my profile. Not found, but literally saw. For whatever reason, that option only appears there maybe 1/3rd of the time; the other 2/3rds it doesn't… not a blank space, but blank as if the coding was never there to begin with.

Additionally, those settings for background coloring do not work for me. My redone settings are seemingly saved, yet they never actually take effect. No amount of refreshing, resetting, etc. etc. will allow those new color choices through. Seems I'm forever stuck with shocking pink. *sigh*

------------

As for the Shoutbox comment, so long as it doesn't slog down all other system processes, great. But if it's the same as YPSH's in every way, then forever off it shall be set to.

15. C.Birch

My comment on style themes is to address how the new forums will work. The theme settings you talk about for this forum will be the ones that edit the profile page only.

16. LANCERBOIGTI

LANCERBOIGTI New In Town

love the new idea,bring it to life along with neotopia.