1. Hello Guest at some point these forums will be shutting down so please make sure to save anything you'd like to keep. You can reach us in the new Spunland Discord Right Here

MODERATION?

Discussion in 'Questions and Support' started by Spooky-X-Mulder, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Spooky-X-Mulder

Spooky-X-Mulder Squatter

I love the fact that neotopia will a democracy of sorts. but we all know from the real world and pshome that people cannot regulate their own behaviour. trolls, jerks, punks, noobs and idiots and sad females and males just craving attention and other scum join these games just to ruin the fun of others. Moderation was lacking or completley non existent on pshome. Weeks you'd have to wait after a report was made before any if at all action was taken against the culprits. Will there be contstant supervised moderation on neotopia? and in what form?, like all chat rooms or real world groups moderation is very important in order to keep a virtual or real world group in order. Im hoping moderation is better and constant for all users to enjoy themselves without fear of trolling, harrassment or other malicious forms of attack against its user base that is going to be shelling out more good money to keep this world alive and well. Thanx for keeping us informed and cant wait to see what you guys come up with. Feel free to post your thought or experiences on pshome and its lack of moderation

2. XxguthiX

XxguthiX Citizen

Lots of Moderation would be nice tbh, the moderation on Home isn't quite that good in my opinion

Strong Lover likes this.
  3. VickyYoshikawa

VickyYoshikawa Plebian

I agree Mods in home seam to be non existing now So many trolls and self made mod with hack now in home it an sad thing :/ Cant have this happen

4. Your_Empress

Your_Empress Happy and free!

Moderation is essential, but please don't make it into a Nazi sort of thing. Still an in-world warning that shows the warning publically will likely deter people who practice forms of hate online. Such as a message that pops up on-screen when hate speech is detected: "This is your first warning. Please refrain from use of hate speech!." Then 2 things can happen for everybody based upon that: 1) Everybody sees the warning n who gets it, so we have witnesses to whether or not it is a genuine warning or a mistake by the system. 2) It shames the hateful people n makes them understand quickly that somethings just are not cool.

However, moderation should *not* be applied to personal spaces, personal spaces should have complete freedom of speech. If a person has an issue with one of their own friends, they should have the option to boot them from their own personal space *without* deleting them as a friend, like an individual warning, so people havbe a chance to grow as a person n apologize if it was a bad day for them.

Last of all, adult spaces will have to have a different level of moderation, more relax n not against open sexual terms or alcohol usage. Recall that in PlayStation Home, Granzella was going to make a nude beach, but Sony shot it down. A space like that may or may not have extensive sexual talk in it (either the community votes on it, or some ignore feature is there to turn off such chat while in the area), with the exception of violent terms that involve describing graphic actions such as "rape". Another space of Granzella's was that town area from Japan, the district that had the "drinking game", that was specifically never brought over to the USA because of the alcohol reference. That for neotopia however, would be an adult space n have no issues existing. I'm sure these things could be handled appropiately with a mixture of the suggestions here and in all our posts.

I have no issues with adult content, myself. I just don't want lack of moderation allowing children to be easily exposed to it.

5. Spooky-X-Mulder

Spooky-X-Mulder Squatter

good suggestion empress im in agreement

Strong Lover likes this.
  6. Your_Empress

Your_Empress Happy and free!

Thank you, Spooky-X-Mulder! Yours as well! I think it is important that we put our best suggestions out here n now. The sooner these neotopia developers see all these things, the sooner they can make a functioning n wonderful neotopia a reality!

I think it is also very important that we are very friendly and welcoming to people on these forums n watch our behavior here too. this is a new start n a great way to drop crap from the past. Including drama n childish issues with each other. these developers are looking for suggestions from intelligent adults overall, not children. i have a feeling that neotopia may be 18+ only.

In any case, if you were a long time PlayStation Home user (everyone here i would think), please leave the immaturity and drama at the door. I ask this for everyone, a better world with better people is what we all want here. Not some backwards repeat of stupidity!

Don't assume things about people either, that shows a lack of wisdom n is instigation for drama. Mentally healthy people secure in their own self-worth are not going to worry about the personal lives or details of others. This forum is for neotopia, not drama or childish schoolyard baloney, please let that rest with PlayStation Home, everyone. Thank you.

7. MIKEYSEVEN

MIKEYSEVEN Squatter

My opinion is neotopia should have some spaces where you should be able to say what you feel and express yourself without being banned (of course a 18+ server/ space would be needed). There should be a space to do that, if you don't want to be exposed to profanity or violence then don't go to that server/ space. I get that you want to create the perfect virtual world, but that is why people are interested in different things. There has to be variety for everyone.

8. JR1

JR1 Plebian

Yes people can't moderate their own behavior, ie... frosties(thirsties), www(dubyas). We've already got some on here trolling on people's comments. Great way to start a new social site. Let's hope moderation on this one is a bit more strict than it was on PSHome. Oh well, whatcha you gonna do. There's always a few to ruin it for the rest of us. Maybe this site will also come with some online psychiatrists to help these guys out.

Strong Lover likes this.
  9. Mark-T120

Mark-T120 New In Town

there is definitely a difference between "adult conversations" and offensive for offensives' sake.

the home moderation system never really took this into account. you swore you're banned.

the trollee suffers as much as the troll. that cant be right, and must be counter productive.

any moderation needs to take this into account, and differentiate between genuine users and the low lives who come on home to cause grief.

10. interceptor_maxx

interceptor_maxx Mad Max

Many of the problems which require moderation also have an "alt" factor. I have always felt that if you need to make a new ID to do or say something, you probably shouldn't be saying it. I have been involved in building online forums and communities since the 90's when we called the problem "aliases" or "fakes" or "disposables" and the problem is difficult if not impossible to eliminate. With computers, I could use a hidden cookie that weeded out the abusers, but simple cache emptying rendered that useless. I could also ban IP addies, but proxies get around that. One final method, that I won't mention was most effective, but still had holes. Now I know limiting ID's is not really an option since many entire families share a single PS console, but I am looking to you coders with vastly more knowledge than I, to create a system whereby alts are minimized. Get creative. :)

Is every reason for an alt nefarious? No....but be honest....most are. Trolling, stalking, spying or simply perving out. One person...one ID, is how I think things should be. I use one ID at Home and will use one ID at Neotopia. I hope you all do the same.

Strong Lover likes this.
  11. xDaMoOnMaNx

xDaMoOnMaNx Mayor Moon

Really great subject to bring up you should look into detail on my TopiaJail idea.

[HR][/HR]ⓧⒹⓐⓂⓞⓄⓝⓂⓐⓃⓧ [HR][/HR]

12. The Moz

The Moz New In Town

A LARGE portion of trollism could have EASILY been handled on Home with the additional ability to not only "Ignore" a character's text and animations, but to also "Ignore" the entire avatar.
    Once "Ignore " is activated towards any avatar, that particular avatar becomes entirely "INVISIBLE" to you, text, PMs, and most important, VISUALLY, and this goes BOTH WAYS. The object of trolling becomes invisible, as does the troll. Neither can see each other in any way on their screens.
    What you cannot see will disturb you far less than what is visually forced upon you. It is hard to attack what you cannot see...

The trolls on Home made good use of standing on avis, dancing 3" from one's face, and so on. Removing their text and PMs with Ignore was only a partial remedy, as they would then continue to stand visually as close as Sony would allow. Or rotate around you, knowing that level of motion could not be blocked.

By removing the visual irritation of the troll, as well as the focus of the Obsession, a lot of rage and trollism can be easily diffused. "Out of sight, out of mind." With little to no complaints of favoritism, bullying, or harassment.

Moderation requires manpower, and that requires money and training. A police-state virtual world is neither needed nor desired. And the power of moderation in a virtual world is a heavy weight to bear.

By removing the troll from visibility, the need for moderation is reduced. Entire opposing factions of people could "get along" in the same space, if they didn't see each other...The Ignore button should be the FIRST and TOP MOST option offered, and should do more than just remove text or animations. It should remove both parties from each other's experience.

And there could and should be a limit to how many people can be Ignored in a Public Space. Maybe 10% of the Max. Capacity...
    ~M

Strong Lover and XxguthiX like this.
  13. xDaMoOnMaNx

xDaMoOnMaNx Mayor Moon

Welcome Welcome Welcome Moz!!!!!

[HR][/HR]ⓧⒹⓐⓂⓞⓄⓝⓂⓐⓃⓧ [HR][/HR]

14. VickyYoshikawa

VickyYoshikawa Plebian

Welcome Moz to Website ^_^

Strong Lover likes this.
  15. CabbageSoupz

CabbageSoupz Squatter

Welcome Moz :) !

This is tough. Because it's going to be on PS4 does that mean Neotopia is bound to the PSN rules too?

16. Gundyrat

Gundyrat Squatter

In the Beginning God created.... no wait that's for another time In the beginning Home had a watchful eye from above I know I was sent a message once that I was under review but then they apologized when they found I did nothing wrong In Evercra no EverQuest the mods err gods descended down from above and took care of different situations a watchful eye from above and maybe a guide or 2 at street level
    would be most helpful in allowing everyone to have a fun Neotopian experience imo :)

17. Shadow-Runner

Shadow-Runner Squatter

Lock it to ONE PSN ID. No alts to enable a suspension circumvention or ban. No alts for spying, trolling or stalking. You get ONE ID per console. You screw up....you're gone. End of story.

18. NeoHelper

NeoHelper Neotopia Guru

That would be great instead of getting banned you get sent to neojail like moon posted. Jail for 2weeks or so and you can explore the jail and go back to ur jail cell in a certain amount of time. This would be great. :D

19. NissaRaven

NissaRaven Squatter

haha do we get to wear a prisoners uniform and handcuffs.. just wondering.

20. Clarky

Clarky Squatter

The TopiaJail is a brilliant idea and can be very effective if done properly