1. Hello Guest at some point these forums will be shutting down so please make sure to save anything you'd like to keep. You can reach us in the new Spunland Discord Right Here

Frequently Asked Questions... Answered!

Discussion in 'Questions and Support' started by neocortex, Oct 19, 2014.

1. neocortex

neocortex neocortex Administrator Moderator Developer

It's fair to say that there's been a bit of confusion over neotopia, so this post is designed to clear some of that up!
    1) What is neotopia?
    neotopia is a virtual world for PS4, with the community at its heart. So much so in fact that everything we build for neotopia will be put up for the community to vote on, so you get to tell us what to build and when.
    2) Is neotopia a hoax?
    neotopia is most certainly not a hoax, it is a Sony approved product which we hope to launch next year, funding permitting.
    3) Who is making neotopia?
    The core team behind neotopia is comprised of Dave and Jagz (of Spunland fame), Ed and Simon who have twelve years on PS Home between them, Al, who is a highly experienced programmer and Nader of PixelHero.
    4) neotopia is supposed to be free but you’re asking for money, why is that?
    Once released, neotopia will be free to access, there will be free items to earn and items to buy as well. We are asking for funding to build a team, pay for software licenses, development kits and everything else that we need. We want the community to be at the heart of neotopia and the best way to put you there is for the community to fund the project, otherwise known as crowd-funding. £250,000 seems like a lot of money but if enough people give only a small amount we will have the money very quickly.
    5) How does Kickstarter work?
    Kickstarter is the most widely known crowd-funding site and has been used to fund all sorts from games to films to technology. Project owners offer rewards in exchange for pledges from the community, in our case we are offering a range of exclusive items such as clothing, apartments and memorials as well as the right to vote on features and content and getting access to betas. If we don’t reach our target we don’t receive any funds and you don’t get charged, if we do reach our target neotopia gets built and you get your rewards, so there is literally no risk involved for you. Kickstarter doesn’t support all credit cards, so we have also offered the ability to pay via PayPal. You will receive the same rewards, regardless of how you pledge.
    6) What happens if you don’t reach the Kickstarter target?
    If we don’t make the target on Kickstarter, it is unlikely that we will be able to continue with neotopia, though we will try to find other ways of making it happen. Whatever happens, our loyal community will be the first to know.
    7) Will neotopia be available on PS3?
    We are using the Unreal 4 engine to build neotopia which allows us to make a truly next generation experience for PS4. Unfortunately Unreal 4 isn’t compatible with PS3 and whilst we’d love to release neotopia on PS3 as well we feel that focusing on the future is more important.
    8) Will we have our PS Home items in neotopia?
    Unfortunately we cannot transfer PS Home content to neotopia for reasons both technical (we don’t have access to people’s account information or the content itself) and legal (we don’t own the content so can’t use it anyway).
    9) Will neotopia support Morpheus?
    Having a ready-made virtual world to explore with your new Morpheus headset is a no-brainer as far as we’re concerned, this will be high on our priority list as soon as we know what’s happening with Morpheus.

Twiggy, JasonReso, Steven1230 and 3 others like this.
  2. NeoHelper

NeoHelper Neotopia Guru

How about the site. I wanna know is if the kickstarter failed to meet its requirements will the site still be here? And thank you for making this FAQ helped alot :)

Seminole likes this.
  3. Seminole

Seminole Resigned

Thanks for posting this Neocortex

Love Enchantress likes this.
  4. Steven1230

Steven1230 Imaginative

Thanks for the updated FAQ and NeoHelper has a good point which many of us would like to know. I myself as many others want the website and forum to stay so we can continue to support and possibly get a working way to get Neotopia into reality if kickstarter fails.

5. Roxy Jezabella

Roxy Jezabella New In Town

Are we getting the neotopia tshirts, flags, and billboard items in EU home update today?.....we need em!

XxguthiX likes this.
  6. XxguthiX

XxguthiX Citizen

Nope, US Items only, SCEE won't allow it, In other words EU won't get the items.

7. Roxy Jezabella

Roxy Jezabella New In Town

Damm, ok thanks guthi,.... they would have come in handy for the last week of kickstarter :(

Xotica Goddess likes this.
  8. NeoTech

NeoTech Neotopia Tech. Staff Member Administrator Developer

The site will not be shut down if the Kickstarter fails. If there was any reason whatsoever that we felt that we couldn't keep the forum going we'd give ample notice and ensure that all the data was bundled up and provide assistance for the forum continue elsewhere.

We're a team that's promoting an online world, as such we appreciate that a forum can be just as important a place to meet and make friends as one with a flashier presentation and t-shirts.

9. JasonReso

JasonReso Resident citizen

This has been a great place to discuss Neotopia with everyone and meet new friends. :cool:

teentekken likes this.
  10. neocortex

neocortex neocortex Administrator Moderator Developer

It still is Jason! :)

JasonReso likes this.
  11. dustinbriggs1991

dustinbriggs1991 New In Town

Number 8 is upsetting me. People bought those items and we lose money for nothing. I won't go and join Neotopia for this stupid reason. This sucks. Life also sucks.

12. XxguthiX

XxguthiX Citizen

You decided to rent the items (Terms & Conditions)

13. teentekken

teentekken Mileena Loyalist

Neotopia is best place for people to hang out, make new friends, and also be able to have fun and socialize with people. I enjoy meeting new people, and it is a great time to hang out and chat things about Neotopia. I really want Guns of the Helghast to support Neotopia, because I really want them to look forward to the new virtual world, and also, look into the future. That is why I joined the Neotopia forums, because I really want to embrace the future.

14. dustinbriggs1991

dustinbriggs1991 New In Town

Ummm... there's no rent. If it does, it would take it off in 30 days. So, yeah, think twice before you comment.

15. PapruFurutsu82

PapruFurutsu82 New Member

This about the site. How does one delete an account? There's a lot of sites that give pple a hard time and I just wanna know in the near future and for anyone else who needs to know also.

16. GreyNeo

GreyNeo Neotopia Community Manager Staff Member Administrator

Hi there Papu, if you - or anyone else - would like your account deleted, just click on the "Contact Us" link at the bottom right hand of the page and we'll take care of it for you. Or you can message me directly and I'll take care of it =^)

Hope that answers your question!

teentekken likes this.
  17. Xemness

Xemness Xemness

I'm coming here after 2014, and sadly never heard of Neotopia before on Sony.
    Plus, if this was tending years ago, could it be a fail margin project? Or is there something I don't know about the coming of a home space called Neotopia in 2019? :)

18. UncleSpun

UncleSpun Developer Staff Member Administrator Developer

Sorry @Xemness but theres no plans to pursue neotopia, we had to give up on it a long time ago now - the forums are really just still here as there was so much great stuff posted in the past and to give people a chance to get their data before we (eventually) close the forum. madmunki (who were behind neoptopia) are currently publishing Spunland content (our space that we had on PlayStation Home years ago) on Atom Universe now - we have a discord relating to that (and where neoptopia occasionally gets discussed) here. Thanks for your interest and have a spun day!