1. Hello Guest at some point these forums will be shutting down so please make sure to save anything you'd like to keep. You can reach us in the new Spunland Discord Right Here

A cross gender Clothing Idea

Discussion in 'Avatars & Interactions' started by NeoHelper, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeoHelper

NeoHelper Neotopia Guru

I think it would be nice to have a cross gender clothing where girls can wear boy stuff and boys can wear guy stuff because it should be a unisex kind of thing. In real life girls buy guy stuff and guys buy girl stuff. So why not make the clothing boy and girl compatible so that it doesn't matter the gender they can both wear it. :) I think it would be nice to have in a game that will be very realistic-ish :p

I just find it ok for everyone to be able to wear different clothing styles because this happens in a everyday world :p

GreyNeo, lightly, Abiatha and 2 others like this.
  2. Rorschach

Rorschach MetalHead! ↭ kik: Mustang963 PSN ID : Mustang_HN

Hm....my girlfriend used to wear my t-shirts and boxers around which is fine by me,but on Neotopia i believe that this will be an ingredient for the PS4's trolls outfits Lmao .so i think that your idea is better excuted in real life than neo,or i would suppose so xD

GreyNeo, Abiatha and Uniquez_SLB like this.
  3. Arwen

Arwen Resident

Some of the things the guys got in Home I would have liked for my avi but thinking about it there might some items that just wouldn't look right.

Abiatha and Uniquez_SLB like this.
  4. xDaMoOnMaNx

xDaMoOnMaNx Mayor Moon

Cross gender clothing would cause a lot of disruption towards people who do not accept this form of fashion. It would be highly unlikely to see such a thing due to the fact it is not popular to many individuals who still stick to the moral code which is best for society. #MayorMoon #LetsNotBeFoolish

5. dragonwoman52

dragonwoman52 The Watching Dragon

tbh I think it would be a good idea I have friends who wear guys clothes and have friends who dress in a way that does not conform to what people class as the normal thing for their gender. we of Neotopia should let others be free to dress in any manner they wish with out others judging them. a unisex style clothes would be great for those who dress that way in the real world.

6. NeoHelper

NeoHelper Neotopia Guru

Besides they'd be a girl anyways to troll so what makes this any different?
    I'd just joke around and run around in a pokedotted dress just for fun :p

7. Rorschach

Actually just got an idea,and now i want to dress my avi like Trevor from GTA' in the Switching Scene where he is wearing a dress,will attach a pic when i am on my pc xD

8. Uniquez_SLB

Uniquez_SLB Gangsta

y not all 3 main characters clothes in Neotopia :)

GreyNeo and Abiatha like this.
  9. NeoHelper

NeoHelper Neotopia Guru

haha I was thinking the same thing if a old man can wear a awesome yellow dress while being on a mountain all bad to the bone then why can't our avis lol :p

10. Rorschach

Lmaooo high fve,we would definitely start a riot if we wore matched skirts! XD

11. TeddyBearz

TeddyBearz Atom Universe Backer

My outfit on home for a few weeks was Male panda head and torso,with a japan mans dress for bottoms"no idea what they were called" Panda feet and those HighHeels you could attach to shoes, Put it this way got me a lot of nice attention,Most trollz kept clear. Unisex clothing sounds a laugh, But i can imagine all those hairy obesse blokes in a binkini

12. Rorschach

I exactly imagined myself in a dress with hairy legs,was hilarious ,but at same time giving lots of these options would turn Neotopia into a literal circus :-/

13. ladybug17

ladybug17 Member

The basic concept behind this makes sense, however there are certain people who definitely abuse this to their advantage. There are just some things that should stay female only in my opinion, and some things that should stay male.

However I like this idea if it applies to select basic items. For instance, a basic white tshirt, but designed to the shape of each genders' body. I don't think many males would want a tighter fitting shirt, and I know for myself I would feel frumpy and sloppy wearing a baggier shirt! Same for a basic pair of bootcut jeans, looser for males, more feminine cut for females.

In Home sometimes there were tshirts and stuff guys had that said,"lol" on them stuff that I wanted so bad, but they never made them for girls. Still don't know why! There were also those heels on for guys, which tbh I found a little disturbing to say the least. That is the kind of stuff I don't want to see lol.

14. Abiatha

Abiatha Petrolhead

I would like to think that anyone can wear anything, irrespective of gender but it might be as easy as we think.

I am not a designer, but I imagine that there is a basic clothing item shape which is supposed to fit either a male or female. So, in real life, if you think about tshirts there is often a male style tshirt which is quite square and loose, and the female style which is often tighter fitting, lower neckline and smaller sleeves. In real life I sometimes buy male tshirts and sometimes a female shirt depending on the look I want (or what's available in the design I want, eg band or fan tshirts).

I am not sure this will work on an avatar though. If I try to put a male shirt on a female avatar, will it look right (will it have muscular arms or broad shoulders)? If I have a male avatar (not sure if we get to have more than one avi), and I buy a female shirt, will it give me a female shape! I am just not sure how this will work. I know that some female items could change your shape quite a bit from a small bust to a very ample cleavage, and likewise some male tops made you look boyish but others made you look pretty muscular. Maybe if the clothing item had something inbuilt that recognised it was on a male or female avi, then it would change to suit that gender, but I don't even know if this is possible or even desirable. I mean, if a guy wants to wear heels or a bikini top , it should be possible if we want complete freedom on neotopia - I guess this will be up to the community to decide.

I hope we get the option to have both male and female avatars because I am used to that on Home. I personally would not dress my male avatar in a dress, high heels or female clothing but I don't mind tight tshirts or jeans on him. I have mentioned this previously, but the main reason I made a male avatar was so I could wear the Assassins Creed outfit and the Boba Fett outfit, and others, which either didn't exist for the females or looked stupid on a small female frame. And I got annoyed that some items were only for males and not females on Home, so I hope everything is available for everyone. I also hope we have more choice in jewellery as I didn't think were nearly enough necklaces and earrings available, and they should be available for both genders.

It would be even cool if we had an animal or monster avatar which we could dress up! What about a grizzly bear in a floral apron, lol! If neotopians are concerned about dress though, I guess we are going to have to decide if we want to restrict people to particular modes or items of dress. Whilst I like the idea of complete freedom, I don't think we want it to be like what I have heard Second Life is like. I kind of liked that Home was a bit of a "walled garden" as someone called it and had a bit of decency and decorum for the most part.

15. Rorschach

Lol,honestly,the heels and tights for male were terrifying,i am sure most of us only used them to troll,i won't open up to cross gender clothes unless it was perfectly shaped,and since i am bearded and love my avi to look like me...well that is gonna be odd,xD

GreyNeo and Abiatha like this.
  16. Abiatha

Abiatha Petrolhead

Lol, Rorschach, yeh would be cool to have an avi that closely resembles ourselves - I would love that too. Except for my male avi, he has a beard, which I certainly don't :)

GreyNeo and Rorschach like this.
    1. Rorschach
      Hahah,Hm....i wonder if i could grow a similar pony tail that my female avi has :v

Rorschach, Jan 15, 2015
      Abiatha likes this.
  17. Seminole

Seminole Resigned

I'm not sure about cross gender clothing. Either you pick a male or female avatar and wear the clothes designed for that gender. Some developers will make the same design for both male and female avatars. Will this be more work for developers having them make various styles of clothing based on how it will be intended to be worn?

So you are either after the design and want that design for your avatar (meaning the developer creates that same design for both genders) or you want to be a cross dresser and want to wear the opposite gender clothing. (guys wearing girl high heels and girls wearing guy suits with ties)

Just as Abiatha had mentioned when it comes to developing the avatars how will cross gender clothing look? It would be simple to just pick either male or female and wear the clothes for that gender. Will we have only one body type of a male or female avatar to choose from? Will we be able to change the size, shape and height of our avatars? Will clothing auto fit that body type regardless?

Maybe a developer can make clothes that aren't gender specified and can be worn by both genders to the point you wouldn't be able to tell. Some clothing like tennis shoes are hard to tell if they are male or female unless they have colors that we associate for a male or female. Same goes with UFO pants which are baggy pants. http://www.bewild.com. Pants like these can be viewed for dancers or rave clothing. They are universal to gender and you probably wouldn't be able to tell if you were wearing a guy or girl pants.

So there's two parts to this. I'll use the Neotopia shirt as an example. Do we want developers to design the same style for both male and female like what was done for the Neotopia shirt? The male shirt fit the male avatar with a more broad square look and the female shirt fit more slim and close fitting to the body showing the shape of that gender.

Do we want developers to allow a female shirt to fit on male avatar making it look tight on his body? According to the shape of the PS Home male avatar any female shirt would appear tight fitting yet still show off the male shape. If a female wears a guys shirt then it won't look close fitting to her body and will be big and baggy or square looking. It would hide her shape since it would be loose fitting to her body.

So my question is what is our objective here? Are we after the design or the fact we just want to wear the opposite gender clothing for other reasons?

For me personally in PSHome I would sometimes look at the designs for the men clothing and see something I liked. That didn't make me want to wear the guy shift for my girl avatar. I just wanted that same design only for a female fitting shirt so it still looked feminine. Not even with clothing but some accessories like the bandanas across the face or the masks and earrings. Those glow earrings could be worn by both genders. We could also talk about makeup and hair styles for both genders. At times I got tired of seeing lots of pink. Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean all I wear is the color pink. So I wish they would incorporate all colors. Sometimes they would have the same style pants but give the girl pink and white and the guy blue and orange. Well hey I want blue and orange too but only want it in female clothing for my avatar.

So there's a lot of options that could become available to us in Neotopia but again my question goes back to what is our objective. Do we want both options or one of the other? This would be a great poll question.

1. Do you want developers to make the same design, style and all color variations for both genders? Meaning a girl version of that style and guy version of that style that fits your avatar accordingly.

[​IMG]

2. Do you want developers to allow both genders to wear each other's clothing as is?

[​IMG]

3. Do you want both of these options available? So if you went into the store there would be an icon for Male, Female, and/or Uni (Universal)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lets think about something here….
    If you are going to take a female avatar and make her look like a guy then just use a male avatar. If you are going to take a male avatar and make him look like a girl then just use a female avatar. Lets keep it simple.

In reality some people want to be the opposite gender but in virtuality why not start off with the gender you want to be? In reality I can see why we have cross gender dressing but in virtuality it's irrelevant to have cross dressing hence it being a virtual world where you can be anything you want with no limitations.

18. Arwen

Arwen Resident

That was so well put Seminole, I would go with option 1. I'm female so it's natural for my avatar to be female, I do have a male avatar, only because I was trying to make one look like a game character, so he stays in the closet :D.

Abiatha and Seminole like this.
    1. Seminole
      Thanks Arwen :)

Seminole, Jan 16, 2015
  19. Rorschach

Hm....male/female thing sounds complex,i hope they will have carrots avatars.

Seminole and Abiatha like this.
  20. Abiatha

Abiatha Petrolhead

Very nice post, Seminole and I think you have explained everything very well! :)

Seminole likes this.
    1. Seminole
      Thanks Abiatha! :)

Seminole, Jan 16, 2015
      Abiatha likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.